Nov 23rd, 2013
Author: CrossFit CDR
Category: CDR Community
Did you know…Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is next week! That means family get-togethers, pumpkin pie, football, shopping, and of course TURKEY! Although most of us just think of Thanksgiving as the day the Plymouth pilgrims and Wampanoag Indians shared a meal, however there are more interesting details surrounding this overindulgent holiday…
- The date of the first Thanksgiving is not really known, but its estimated to be between Sept. 21st and Nov. 9th, 1621.
- The first Thanksgiving lasted for 3 days.
- The first national Thanksgiving was declared in 1775 by the Continental Congress to celebrate the win at Saratoga during the American Revolution.
- Congress passed a law on Dec. 26, 1941 which stated that all Americans would celebrate a united Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday of November every year.
- In the US, about 280 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving.
- Every year, the average American eats about 16-18 lbs of turkey!
- Californians are the largest consumers of turkey.
- The heaviest turkey ever raised was 86 lbs–about the size of a large dog!
- Turkey has more protein than chicken or beef.
- The male turkey is the one that actually gobbles, the hens just cluck.
- Turkeys have poor night vision.
- 43.4 million Americans will travel at least 50 miles or more for Thanksgiving.
Workout of the Day!
Skill: Pull-up/Dip Complex
*Buy in 50 m Bear Crawl*
Partner week was a success! I hope all of you enjoyed working out with your friends and sweethearts!
Sign up for class here!