Jul 7th, 2014
Author: CrossFit CDR
Category: CDR Community
It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.
Blonyx: HMB Sport
- What is HMB?: HMB or Beta-Hydroxy Beat-methyl-butyrate is the by-product of the the breakdown of the branch-chained amino acid Leucine.
- What are the benefits? It has been used in scientific studies to purportedly increase muscle mass and decrease muscle breakdown. In a review by the scientific journal, Nutrition & Metabolism, it proposes several mechanisms of action for HMB in the body:
- Increased muscle fiber integrity
- Enhanced protein synthesis
- Inhibition of protein degradation
- Will HMB Sport increase athletic performance?: Blonyx created HMB Sport to slow down muscle breakdown after intense exercising, leading to a decrease in soreness. It also speeds up protein synthesis in order to get stronger and fitter more quickly. Blonyx created HMB Sport as a clean product, containing no additives, preservatives, or fillers and is for the athlete concerned about what goes into their body.
- How much can I take?: Our bodies produce .2-.4 grams per day, and research studies suggest that dosages between 1.5-3.0 grams per day to be most therapeutic. HMB Sport provides 1 gram of HMB and 1.3 g of Calcium per two capsules.
Workout of the Day
Strength: 3 RM Back Squat with 3 Sec Pause at Bottom
WOD: 4 R.E.F.T
10 Burpee Box Jump Overs #24/20
Row 200 M/180 M
Sign up for class here!
Wilson GJ, Wilson JM, Manninen AH. (2008). “Effects of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) on exercise performance and body composition across varying levels of age, sex, and training experience: A review.”. Nutrition & Metabolism 5: 1.